Thursday, January 26, 2006

Stop saying things all the time.

I’m not really a grammar/spelling Nazi on-line. I try to speak well on line, but if you don’t, I guess that’s cool. But I am one of those people, who is compelled, indeed must pounce when the word Irony, or Ironic is used online or in a dying newsprint format incorrectly. Ever since that damnable song by Alanis Morrisette, few people use the word correctly.

No, damnit, it’s not.

I try not to use the word, in an effort to play it down a little. Maybe if people don’t hear it as much, they won’t misuse it as much.

There was an example just today. So you don’t have to read the story, the executive summary: Two sets of kids were driving like assholes in two Mercedes benzes, one T-bones a cab, killing the cabbie, and the other drives away. On the seat of the crashed mercedes: a game called Need for Speed.

Choice Quote:"You have this game that's all about fast cars and racing through city streets. It's actually really ironic," he said.

You fool! Irony would be the dudes having a copy of “Drive safely, drive slowly” on the seat. Why must you anger me! Quotes like this are like a knife of tragedy to me. The only balm I draw from the statement above is Irony gets the last laugh.

Using the word Ironic to describe a scenario which is in fact, entirely fitting, is the ultimate irony.

Oh, and I guess the thing about the cabbie was tragic too.

3 Comments:

At 1/26/2006 10:35 PM, Blogger HighMaintenanceHussy said...

I can't believe you and I have never discussed this before. I, too, am disgusted by the misuse of the term ironic.

If she hadn't written that song about going down in a theater, I would totally hate Alanis.

 
At 1/26/2006 10:51 PM, Blogger Sycdata said...

yeah, actually, I have to give Alanis major props on that song. Major props. Props as in: I directly benefitted from that song, style props

 
At 1/29/2006 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think if you're going to put it out there in print, you should know how to use the language. We all make typos, that's a given. But misuse of words - that shows real ignorance, or at least an education sadly lacking in grammar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home