Saturday, May 20, 2006

Interpersonal relationships are the spice of life.

Have you given any thought to routine things you do everyday, and their repurcussions? Like, opening doors, walking, etc? I do.

I try to play a game every now and then, for instance: Today I am a ninja, and will do everything silently and in fluent motions. Or, Today I am going to be a gentlemen, all the way to the hilt, not just holding doors for people, as I always do, but ceding the right of way to others, with a bow and a gesture. Or, Today, I am going to strike up a conversation with anyone I possibly can. Most days, I combine as many as I can.

The last two are my favorites. It’s fun to do, and it puts a smile on people’s faces. When they get into their cars, they are going to be less susceptible to road rage, so you’re actually performing a community service. Let’s be honest, dealing with other humans is a hassle. Some lady at a deli is making sandwiches all day long and it’s monotonous. She appreciates a chat about this, that, or the other thing. And you are going to get a few extra slices of meat and cheese for your effort. People are generous when in a good mood. I even got a nickname out of this habit from my local sandwhicheur, Mrs. Kim: she calls me Mr. Bank.

So I like to put people around me in a good mood. This can be done with a held door, a wink and a nod, or an unusual word in a sentence. I’ve found that using the word “Smashing!” delivers excellent results. People don’t hear that word, so it puts them off their guard, in a good way.

It costs nothing. It gets you some extra pastrami on your sandwich, and it cuts down on traffic accidents. Why wouldn’t you do this?

3 Comments:

At 5/24/2006 11:50 AM, Blogger cainnum said...

this is pure brilliance and i would go with it full force if i didn't have crippling social anxieties. maybe just shoving down those fears and talking to strangers anyway might work. oh btw hi im cainnum

 
At 5/25/2006 9:55 PM, Blogger Sycdata said...

Thanks Cainnum,

I don't think you're really socially crippled, just that our society encourages people to keep their heads down and not say anything when passing other people. Next time you are walking down the street, and someone crosses your path, give em a nod, and a "Beautiful day isn't it?"

Maybe they keep walking, maybe they say "indeed!" I just think that we should all acknowledge each others presence more often, in as friendly a manner as possible.

 
At 6/10/2006 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do this as well - on my somewhat daily 3-mile walk, I make it a point to at least smile at each and every person I pass.
I know it makes me feel happier.

Some people don't want to engage, they just look straight ahead and keep walking ... those are the ones who get a loud, enthusiastic "Hi!" from me. If they look REALLY serious, I give them a "Howdy!!"
No one can resist a "Howdy"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home