Monday, March 13, 2006

Tradition? or Fealty? Choose one.

March 17th, Saint Patrick’s day, falls on a Friday during lent. Now, foodwise, I have but two traditions. Pork-chops and Sauerkraut on January 1st (some squarehead good luck charm), and Corned beef and cabbage on St Patties.

Now, the local archdiocese has given a special dispensation to allow eating meat on the 17th, provided you choose another day in the week to abstain. Problem solved right?

Wrong. Though I am a catholic, my mother raised me protestant, in that I don’t care much for the political structure of the church. So what if the bureaucracy says it’s ok? The big man said “Hell no!” So I suppose I will have to take a special dispensation, and get my corned beef on Thursday.

Further comments on Catholicism


This Sunday, I’m going to be a Godfather. My homey Jim elected to honor me as such. I have a godfather, and to be honest, I haven’t seen him very often. So I don’t know what my domain is.

I’ve technically been an uncle since I was 2 (papa was a rolling stone. An older rolling stone.) However, only in the last few years have I had a chance to be the “Fun uncle”. Teaching the kid tricks, how to snap your fingers, whistle, skip rocks, make a paper airplane, you know…passing on the delinquent’s handbook. I get the feeling that a Godfather has to be a different type of cat. Obviously I know the major responsibilities, but Jim and his wife want me to have a more active role in Farah’s life then my Godfather had in mine. What’s the proper tact to take?

2 Comments:

At 3/19/2006 9:22 PM, Blogger The Semi-Pro Chef said...

I read that some Catholic dioceses' allowed corned beef and cabbage on Friday b/c of St. Patty's day. Now, St. Patty's day is my brother's bday...check out my blog for the post on that. Ha. I didn't eat meat on Friday, but I did have a green O'Douls. It tasted like crrrap. Haha!

 
At 3/20/2006 12:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say go the Uncle route with your godchild. Read them the cool kids' books - Dr. Seuss and Maurice Sendak ... maybe some Roald Dahl later on. Teach them to burp. Make them electric guitars out of cardboard with rubber-band strings and play loud, fun tearing-through-the-house games. Dress them up as stuff: Football player (with the jersey and shoulder pads from when you played in High School), Santa Claus (Do NOT, however, glue the cotton-ball beard on with Elmer's Glue)!
Such is the legacy left me by my Uncles, to whom I am still close.
And I have to say - those were some great times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home